There are a number of factors that go into choosing a Quality Persian, Turkish or Modern rug for your home. How much space you have, the color palette you’ve chosen, and furniture layout will impact your rug buying. We’ve created this rug buying guide as a way to assist you in your search for that perfect rug.
The first step in choosing the ideal area rug for your home is to evaluate the current look and feel of the space you’re decorating. Are you planning on changing the color of the walls or furniture? Do you want your rug to make a statement with its contrasting colors? Having an idea of where you want to take your décor will be instrumental in finding a rug you love.
Step 1: Choosing a Design & Color That Inspires You
The first thing you need to do is to determine the mood you want to create in your room, e.g. formal or casual. This decision will guide you towards certain colors or patterns.
How Color and Design of Rugs Impact the Feel of Room
- Formal rugs can anchor a room with a calming effect
- Casual and fun elements are great for the family room
- Bold medallions make a dramatic statement
- Elegant fine lines and subdued colors have a quiet pleasing effect
- Vintage patterns are traditional way to reminisce about their time and place
- Pure color are more formal and elegant
- Abrash (blending of two or more colors) creates a broader color pallet and can be easier to decorate with
- Rug patterns can work with the existing designs and fabrics in your room
Step 2: Choosing the Best Rug Size for Your Space
Once you know the color and feel you are trying to create, the size of the Oriental or Persian rug you need will be your next decision. You’ll want to prioritize your rug purchases according to room to room size and importance. This process is like putting a puzzle piece together. Each rug acquired will lessen your choices for future rug selections.
Rug Size Tips and Recommendations
- Accent rugs and runners are easier to co-ordinate with the main rug than vice-versa.
- Room layout, size & walls will limit the dimensions for a comfortable fit.
Step 3: Be Mindful of Your Furniture
Your current furniture style and layout will impact your rug buying experience. Here are some helpful tips on how adding a rug can create a unique space.
- Choose a smaller rug that can create an island effect that can hold everything together
- There are no rules about on or off the edges. Simply, what feels right and functions best
Step 4: Don’t be Shy, Ask for Help
We want to help you find the perfect area, Persian or Oriental rug for your home. If you are unsure, or on the fence about what rug to purchase, let our experienced team guide you towards options that could be exactly what you were looking for.